torsdag 22. september 2011

And here we go again..





Yeah, I'm travelling again!! For the ones I haven't talked to in a while or with a goldfish memory, here are the facts:
Why: Because I have to wait for 6 months for my internship in Gjøvik anyway
When: 5 months - september - february
Where: Ehm..starting in Cancun, Mexico, haven't booked a return ticket yet.
Goals: Not many! Practice spanish. Be the most tanned doctor Gjøvik has ever seen.

Like last time, this blog will be in english to make sure everyone who wants to can follow it, and like last time, the language part of my brain's being heavily challenged these days, so my english might get bit funny. I haven't decided weither I should bother uploading pictures here or just to Facebook - any opinions?

So far it's been ALL about the sun&fun! :) I started in Isla Mujeres after just one night in Cancun. I got there JUST in time before the whale shark season ended, had an amazing tour where we were snorkeling right next to them. Because it was the end of the season, we only saw 2-3 and not 20-40, but I was just really glad we found them at all! We had great opportunities to see them and swim right next to them. I didn't think I would, but I got a bit scared - they're MASSIVE! Unreal. It's been my dream for years. Unfortunately I don't have a waterproof camera, so I don't have any photos :(

Otherwise, it wasn't much going on on the island. The beach, turquise water, excellent hostel with a beach bar, hammocks and nice people. We hired a golf cart for a day and drove (I drove! My company was more trusting than what's good for them) arond the island, checked out a turtle sanctuary on the way.

The night before, we had an even more amazing turtle experience: We were hanging out at the beach bar, suddenly one of the guys discovered that there was loads of baby turtles crawling up from the sea! Apparently, they're attracted to light, which should normally be the moon, but in this case - big lamp posts on the beach. It must have been hundreds of them, and we walked around making sure all of them made it back into the water. I'm not completely convinced that it was really necessary, but it felt very inspiring there and then.

And yes, we had a "cocology class" at the hostel, which was quite random, since I think our teacher was either high or half asleep, it was raining a lot and the palm trees were too wet to climb. But we did sort of manage to open a coconut, stick a hole in it, drink the milk and get the meat out.

Now I am in Tulum, a bit further south. It's a bit more quiet here, and the beaches are even better. Today we went to a beach where you can just bring snorkeling gear, swim for 5 minutes and right there, there's massive sea turtles hanging out, you can get as close as you like! The biggest ones' shells were probably almost a meter in diameter. We saw a few sting rays as well :)


2 kommentarer:

SiljeOle sa...

PIX OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! Seriøst, bilder hever standarden på enhver blogg.

Julie sa...

Blogg = bra! Hang in there, selv om mine muligheter til å følge den vil variere. Har nettopp sluppet ut av russisk fengsel og sluppet inn i Kirgistan. Def. en forbedring ;) Mail sendt. Kjempeglad i deg! Stor klem